The Acacia Movement is on a mission to create a world united on the road to equal opportunity for women by increasing awareness, facilitating understanding relationships, and sharing opportunities for action. We envision a world where citizens of the Global North, regardless of gender, fight as passionately for the rights of women in the Global South as they do for their own.
Why are we here?
- About 2/3 of the world’s illiterate are women
- On average, women globally earn approximately 65-70% of a man’s salary
- 80% of all human trafficking victims are women
- Atleast 200 million women alive today have undergone Female Genital Mutilation
- Overwhelming international evidence shows that women handle household finances, families benefit on a far deeper level
- Additional evidence shows that female-run businesses in the Global South use capital better, generate higher income and lead to greater employment opportunities for outsiders
The playing field is not yet equal. We are here because we believe in a feminist ethic that extends beyond the borders of the Global South and rallies for the rights of women who are experiencing a much deeper and more brutal system of oppression.
We do this through educational presentations on issues women in the Global South face, dissemination of action opportunities and resources via online networks, and facilitation of global partnerships.